Yesterday we had a small storm come through with straight line winds of around 60 mph. It blew my corn flat down on the ground! I mean all 6 rows of it! We did get 1/2 inch of rain praise God! Hubby and I went outside and stood the small corn back up by hilling dirt around it. Then we tied strings and made ....well...sort of ...corn crutches. It was upright and doing fine when I went to bed. The Lord had a lesson about obedience for me in this small storm but I do not feel free to detail it just yet.
Scene 2. This afternoon hubby and I went into to town just kicking around and looking for clothesline poles along with a large dust pan to make cleaning out my little chicken coop a little more simple. I received a phone call from home that another storm was imminent. I gave instructions for all the animals and my son in love said" I am watching your corn". Isn't that cute? We came home to find all the little corn blown flat on the ground again. The big corn looks like it took a hit too but the string did the trick to keep it from being laid out totally flat again. That is good because it is just beginning to tassel.
The blessing in all this is that we received more rain. I will be checking the rain guage in the morning to see just how much. I was told by my family that it was a rather lengthy gully washer. This is refreshing and joyful news since our state is officially in a drought with a no burn ban from the governor.
Praise God for the rain!!!!!
Poor little corn! I hate that it was smushed flat by the wind and rain! Hopefully, it'll perk up having gotten a good watering! It came a frog strangler here too! Maybe the burn ban will be lifted soon! I know I was thankful for the rain and it cooling everything off!
ReplyDeleteHey Cammy! I am so sorry your corn is taking so many hard knocks! Reminds me of that song from "Annie" called "It's a hard knock life"...poor corn!!! I'm so glad you got some rain again, though. I know you truly needed it. Thanks for stopping by and letting me know you're doing okay. I've been thinking about you, praying for your family and checking in on you through your blog, I'll try to be better about leaving comments though! I get so involved in reading that I forget I didnt leave a comment sometimes! I look forward to hearing what you learned from your corn if you decide to share! Have a wonderful and blessed day!
ReplyDeleteTeresa
Cammy,
ReplyDeleteHave you considered having some of the old trees that went down in the sorm made into lumber for the new house? Not sure what kind of trees they were, but thought it would be kind of neat.
Sorry about your corn. Mine's not even up yet and the cattle went and did a happy dance all through my corn patch. I have a feeling it won't be coming up in rows.
Rhonda
Poor corn! I hate it when that happens. We have had a strom do that to ours and I never thought the corn would make it, but it did. I would take some rain right now. We went from too much to not any :O(
ReplyDelete*Christi jo*