Monday, September 20, 2010

Meat Pies

This is a recipe I made up er developed..... many years ago. I have changed it over the years to be more healthy and it tends to be a little different every time I make it depending on what I have on hand. I do know how to write a recipe in a more accepted format. However, I just wrote this one in plain language. Instructions for my gluten free version and vegetarian version are at the bottom.

I hope you enjoy and God bless you all.

Meat Pies

For two pies!
brown 1 1/2 lbs hamburger meat after seasoning with salt,pepper, soul seasoning and sage.

make crust

3/4 cup whole wheat flour
3 Tablespoons baking powder
1 tsp salt
buttermilk to mix it thin

Begin by placing a layer of the crust mixture in the bottom of 9 inch casserole or glass pie dish,saving half for the top. (tonight instead of making two pies I made one large one in a large square glass dish.)
Place meat mixture in a large bowl, add green beans, corn,carrots, sweet peas(about 2 1/2 cups each either fresh cooked, canned or frozen.(thaw first if frozen) drain if canned. Add more salt,pepper, soul seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, and a couple tablespoons minced dried onion.(or one fresh sauteed onion) Add 1 cup of milk and about 1/2 cup whole wheat flour. Mix well.
Pour the meat and veggie mixture over the bottom crust. Add a layer of leftover mashed potatos. (if you have them)Pour other half of crust mix on top. Bake at 425 for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Let sit for 5 minutes. Then serve with brown rice and garlic toast.


Tonight I made this gluten free by substituting almond meal and adding an extra tablespoon of baking powder.. If you use almond meal cut the milk down to 1/2 cup in the vegetable mixture.


I also made a vegetarian version of this for my daughter. I put a layer of lentils on the bottom, then prepared it using the gluten free adaptations. Before adding the top crust I added another layer of lentils.

3 comments:

  1. This sounds awesome....I will definitely give this a try and quadruple the recipe for our family :-)

    blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds yummy!!! I would like to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a recipe my hubs would like!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your blessed thoughts today!