
Good morning everyone,
R over at http://glory-farm.blogspot.com/ asked for my Challah recipe and fermented garlic dip. I plan to post the dip next.
I make this on Friday afternoons and bake it just before sundown. It is a special treat to have it in our home for Sabbath. Sabbath is a wonderful time of rest and delight for our family. It gives us time to focus on the Lord without feeling guilty for not doing other things. :) I do not look forward to Sundown on Saturday night as it makes me sad to end this special time with the Lord. We are so blessed to attempt to live the way Jesus lived here on this earth. There is much beautiful symbolism concerning the challah. One thing we think of is the double portion of manna God's people received in the wilderness on Friday as there would be none for Sabbath. God has always provided wonderfully for His people to follow His instructions.
Also, I think of the fact that Jesus is the bread of life. AMEIN!
In a bowl add 3 cups wholewheat flour, 2 eggs, 1/3 cup of olive oil and 1/2 cup water. Mix and cover to sit for several hours.(I soak all my grains this way).
in a small measuring cup place 1/4 cup of warm water, two teaspoons of yeast, 1 tsp sugar and 1 tsp flour. Let this proof.
Combine all the aforementioned ingredients and add 1 cup unbleached white flour, 1/3 cup sugar and 1 and 1/2 teaspoons salt. Mix.
Knead
Place in a well oiled bowl and move it around to coat all sides with oil.
Let rise until doubled.
Punch down down and let sit for 15 minutes
Flour a bread board. Separate dough into two batches. Separate each batch into 3 balls. Roll these out with your hands into cylinder shaped strips.( think of making snakes with playdough when you were a child)
Braid these strips the same as your little girls hair. Tuck and press the ends of the braids together and pinch to keep from coming apart during second rising.Place both loaves on a greased cookie sheet and let rise again.


Preheat oven to 325 and bake for 26 minutes. Or 350 for 23 minutes. You will need to try both ways to see how your oven does best.
May the Lord bless you and keep you!
Cammy
Hopefulheart77
Cammi,
ReplyDeleteThank you for the recipe. I'm going to give this a try. Anytime you want to post traditional Jewish recipes, please do. :)
Rhonda
Mmmm, I LOVE Challah!
ReplyDeleteThat is beautiful bread all braided! I bet it taste delicious too! I have some whole wheat flour in my pantry so I just might go and try this out! I am very new at bread making so am sure it will not turn out as beautiful as yours. Hope you have a great day :)
ReplyDeleteI have never made this bread before...sounds awesome.
ReplyDeleteThank you for commenting on my blog. It is good to be back. No we did not move to Florida...we live in Canada. But our adoption was done through Florida as we adopted our girl through a disruption....even though the other family who originally adopted Emmie from Africa lived in Oregon, we needed a Hague lawyer and Florida was the closest. Shephard's Care is an awesome agency to work with.
I too have seen the video's of abortions and I just about threw up. It angered me so much that I just cried out to God to show me what to do....right now, I just keep praying and pleading with God to intervene with these girls/women who are making these horrible choices.
I will be praying for you and your dh if God is calling you down the road of adoption. It is the most difficult and rewarding journey you will ever be on. I am already thinking about the possibility of our next adoption...and I just about pulled my hair out with this last one. But I know that we must always be open to God's calling...as when we say "this is our last", God must smile cause He knows so different and has incredible surprises around ever corner.
I wish we could adopt all those babies who are being aborted...but I know that is not possible....so we just wait and ask God to show us how to serve Him...as He is the one who has given us a heart for the orphan.
Blessings for your day Cammi.
Connie